NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Happy Fourth of July


Other facts about July 4, in addition to the signing of the Declaration of Independence in 1776, are:

  • The U.S. Military Academy opened at West Point in 1802
  • Hawaii was declared a republic in 1894
  • The poem “America the Beautiful” by Katherine Lee Bates was published as a hymn in 1895
  • Louis Armstrong was born in 1900
  • The Philippine Islands were declared independent in 1946
  • President Johnson signed the Freedom of Information Act in 1966

Facts courtesy of Reference.com On This Day at http://www.reference.com/thisday/index.html?m=7&d=4

Have a safe and happy Fourth of July. Remember those who came before us, those with us now, and those who will follow us.

No comments: