NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Monday, July 9, 2007

Life is a multimedia event







In one of my Master’s classes, we looked at how technology affects the education system now and in the future, and the impact of technology on learning. Education, along with news, politics, entertainment, and selling, can be categorized as “information delivery.” Like many people in their 50s, the rapid changes are both exhilarating and scary to me. I can stand in front of small and large groups of people and talk for hours (the Sage on a Stage system of education), but expect me to work a visual presentation? Create an animated one? Not without much angst. Regardless of personal feelings, there is very little likelihood of going back to the old ways. Some effects of technology on information delivery include:

  • Increased technology and rapid changes across all industries and fields means an increased need for post-secondary education, both initially for those first entering the workforce and recurrently for the rest of the workers. This in turn means teaching at the university and technical college level is becoming even more important.
  • Teaching tools affect the methodology, moving it from a human voice speaking from a warm body to high-tech devices where direct human contact is minimal, if at all.
  • Changes in the delivery of courses mean students can live anywhere—not just near a campus. Distance learning and web-based courses are being offered at an increasing level.

Because I teach multicultural communications as well as business writing, I am collecting a variety of blogs and sites that represent a wide range of media. And, since communications should be enjoyable, I particularly like things that amuse me. These are just a hoot!

http://www.dirtycarart.com/ (now this is a creative medium!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDSGmx8c2AM&mode=related&search= (look for Algorithm March with Ninjas. Two will play—the first one has a translation, the second has Ninjas)

No comments: