NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, November 6, 2008

Pausing for creative moments



I have been exploring creativity in daily life over the past few months. As a result, I’ve been alert to instances of how others, especially those with busy lives, find inspiration and the time to act on it. I always listen to Michael Barone’s program Pipedreams on Minnesota Public Radio (he’s carried nationally through American Public Media). On Sunday, October 26, his program featured the young organists studying at the Curtis Institute of Music. Their teacher, Alan Morrison, is not only a professor at the Institute, but also a composer and a performer who has two daughters—one is three and the other is one year old. During the interview part of the program, Morrison commented how much of his evenings are spent putting his daughters to bed, and that one night, as the littlest one successfully fell asleep, he sat watching her face. During those peaceful moments at the end of a busy day, Morrison mused on what his daughter’s dreams were like. That inspired him to compose his latest piece. I thought, if someone so caught up in an international career as a concert organist, an instructor, and a father can still notice those moments of inspiration and act on them to create, then why am I waiting for the perfectly peaceful stretch of time? Inspiration and creativity can happen regardless of a crowded agenda or daily tribulations. To hear the program and the interview with Morrison, listen at http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2008/0842/

1 comment:

Inkpot said...

A very good observation, thank you Erica. Inspiration usually strikes me at the most unusual moments. I was working at a speech and drama festival earlier in the year and the judge I was working with pointed out that the trophy he was about to present had vilage on it rather than village. This prompted me to write a story about what you might find for sale in a vilage shop (or Vile-age shop, as I like to pronounce it). I ended up selling this story to a magazine and it will be published early next year, so you never know where inspiration will come from or what it will lead to! Best wishes, Iseult