NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Recently read: Jo Nesbo’s The Redbreast




This is the first book I’ve read by this highly acclaimed Norwegian writer, and I’m looking forward to reading the two more books by him I’ve bought. His detective, Harry Hole, is in the pattern of my favorite protagonists like James Lee Burke’s Robicheaux and Colin Dexter’s Inspector Morse (the books, not the TV shows). This book slips between contemporary Norway, and Nazi Germany, examining Norway’s role in World War II, which I knew little about. This is a fascinating history with excellent plot, and complex characters, and narrative that is well written by Nesbo and well translated by Don Bartlett. This is a memorable thriller that follows a small group of elderly Norwegians who had served on the Eastern Front for Hitler’s army. And one of them may be about to kill again.

No comments: