NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Monday, June 25, 2007

Recently read: Tim Dorsey’s The Big Bamboo



If you are not familiar with Tim Dorsey’s wild and crazy Florida series that whirls around Serge A. Storms and his sidekick, Coleman the druggie, then you have a treat ahead of you. Great summer reading. When I was at the San Francisco Writers Conference this February, so many of the agents used the term “quirky” when describing the books they preferred to handle. “Quirky” is the best word to describe Dorsey’s books. The Big Bamboo is his eighth (or so) in the series, and it’s good to read them in order to get full appreciation of his characters. Serge, a guilt-less killer who is fixated on preserving Florida’s heritage, grows on you—how can you want an amoral murderer to win each time? But you do. In this escapade, Serge’s father leaves a legacy, Serge temporarily leaves Florida, and the good killers win and the bad killers lose. If you enjoy Carl Hiaasen and Lawrence Shames, you’ll enjoy Dorsey (and if you don’t, you won’t).

No comments: