NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Friday, July 23, 2010

Recently read: Lisa Reardon’s The Mercy Killers


This was one of the books from my father’s bookshelves and it was a 2004 advance reader’s copy, which means he was asked to read it before it was officially released to the bookstores. The published version may have some changes in it, and should also have caught some of the proofreading errors and mistakes. Nevertheless, this is an extremely powerful book, brilliantly written, and masterfully paced. It takes place from 1967 to 1970 in Ypsilanti, Michigan. The book tells the story of a group of friends who grew up in the neighborhood: the boys who went to Vietnam and the girls who stayed home. This is not a romantic glimpse into the past, nor a love story—domestic violence, substance abuse, and murder all circle the past, present and future. I was disappointed to see Reardon has only written two other books, and I WILL be reading them!

No comments: