NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Recently read: Andrea Camilleri’s The Smell of the Night


Another book in my favorite series set in contemporary Sicily, Inspector Salvo Montalbano quietly does his job in the political and Mafioso world of Sicilian law enforcement. Emanuele Gargano, a wealthy financial pundit, has vanished. With him went a lot of money, mainly from retirees who gave Gargano their entire life savings. As Montalbano uncovers the financial scam and searches for both the man and the money, he is going through a rough patch in his personal life. His lover, Livia, continues to be miffed at him and Montalbano’s boss has shut him out of the case. Camilleri is a beautiful writer with a vivid sense of atmosphere, and his books are splendidly translated by poet Stephen Sartarelli.

1 comment:

KK Brees said...

Hi Erica,

Checking back in to see what you've been up to. Looks like you've been a busy bee. Glad you're doing fine and I too love those mysteries set in Sicily. I'm writing fiction now as KK Brees (Karen K Brees for nonfiction).