NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Recently read: Martin Edwards’ The Cipher Garden


Edwards is a new discovery to me, and a fine one. The books are set in the Lake District of England and are in the manner of the traditional British police procedurals. Detective Chief Inspector Hannah Scarlett has been put in charge of the Cold Case Review Team, a position she worries signals her career is stalled. A vicious unsigned note sent to the police ends up triggering a reopening of the unsolved murder of a landscaper and womanizer. One of Scarlett’s team members was on the original investigations, which had too many suspects and not enough proof. Many of the suspects then and now were just as nasty as the murdered man, and all still have strong reasons to have used the scythe to slice the man up. This has a complicated and compelling plot, good character development, well-written and very worth reading.

No comments: