NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Sunday, February 13, 2011

America Indian Art at the Denver Art Museum


Grand Procession: Contemporary Artistic Visions of American Indians by Lois Sherr Dubin

This weekend, Carl, our friend Cathy and I went to see the expanded exhibit of the Denver Art Museum’s permanent collection of American Indian art. It was stunning, with ancient art and artifacts, clothing, traditional work and contemporary art beautifully displayed. My favorites were the doll sculptures created by contemporary artists. These sculptures are fully clothed with traditionally made beaded clothing, two feet tall, each representing the garments of the eighteenth and nineteenth Plains and Plateau Indians. I bought the book about them at the museum shop. Fascinating stuff.

No comments: