NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Friday, February 5, 2010

Recently read: Ian Sansom’s The Case of the Missing Books



This is an odd book about a particularly unappealing protagonist in a setting that, like the hapless Israel Armstrong, hovers between tongue-in-cheek and outright farce. Armstrong, a Jewish librarian whose jobs have been one long list of dreariness, moves from London to a small Irish town to take the position of librarian. Instead of a welcoming committee, he finds the library shut down, an overweight Anglo-Asian woman who holds a government position that, among other duties, covers the library, a testy van driver, dreadful coffee, and hundreds of empty library shelves. Good, but skip it if you’re in the mood for thrilling suspense or a slice of real life.

No comments: