NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Recently read: William Lashner’s Past Due



Again, an author who I’d never heard of before has jumped to the top of my Must Read list. Defense lawyer Victor Carl is a likeable sad sack who not only doesn’t drive a fancy car, but lost his cable through nonpayment and has to visit his ailing father in the hospital to watch the Sixers play Orlando. The plot is extremely complex and handled masterfully. Carl’s client (who, like his lawyer, doesn’t pay his bills) is found with his throat slit on one of Philadelphia’s piers not long after meeting with Carl. Philadelphia’s elite, its criminal element, and just plain folks are presented with humor, depth and compassion as Carl puts himself, and unknowingly his clients and his partner, at risk to track down the murderer for a crime that began 20 years before on that same pier. I’m stocking up on Lashner’s other books!

No comments: