NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Recently read: Andrea Camilleri’s Rounding the Mark




This is another choice mystery set in an unusual locale, with a quirky detective, and lots of atmosphere. I discovered Camilleri’s Inspector Montalbano books a number of years ago and always find them satisfying. Set in contemporary Sicily, the books are very quick reads, with good plotting, hot sun-baked scenes, a charmingly cynical and sensitive detective, and plenty of crime.

This one has corrupt Sicilian police and politicians, crime lords, and trafficking in illegal immigrants—all of which make it a timely read for contemporary Americans as well. Camilleri is never trite, however, and is an excellent writer. The scene where Inspector Montalbano tows the body to shore using his swimsuit, and the screeching elderly couple standing on the beach who are sure he is a combination of perverted flasher and murderer, is not only vivid, but also humorous.

No comments: