NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Friday, August 3, 2007

Supporting the written word

Erica Hanson and Dianne Lueder at Dianne's retirement reception at the Menomonie Public Library


My friend Dianne just retired this week from her position as Executive Director of the Menomonie Public Library. Replacing her next month will be Ted Stark, who is leaving his position as library director with the Jackson County Public Library system in the State of Oregon. He’s moving to the Midwest because, according to an August 1, 2007, article in the Chicago Tribune, the 15 branches in the Jackson County system where he is the interim director are closing due to budget cuts.

I think this is a dreadful comment on the nation today. I love the Internet, I love blogging, and I love YouTube; BUT surely there are enough of us who also love words that are written on paper and bound into books. We need to support our libraries and bookstores and publishers and print magazines and newspapers that are actually tossed onto our doorsteps in tidy rolls of newsprint.

There are enough of us to support the written word for at least a few more years. Aren’t there?

No comments: