NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Recently read: Pierre Magnan’s Death in the Truffle Wood



This book, originally published in 1978 and translated in 2005, is a quick, charming read. Mysterious strangers are disappearing around a tiny French town. The townsfolk, whose lives revolve in part around the annual truffle harvest, are puzzled by odd happenings near the woods where the best truffles are found. We get to meet a delightful cast that includes a trained pig named Roseline who is pampered and treasured for her ability to root out the expensive gourmet fungi. We also meet a small group of men who uphold the traditions of generations hunting the treat, a rich girl whose brother is among the “disappeared,” a shepherd who can see ghosts, and a visiting investigator who gets sidetracked by his lovely landlady. The book provides suspense and a delightful peek into the small yet lucrative world of truffle hunting.

No comments: