NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Monday, September 27, 2010

Job Series: being a writer. Part 2 Writing credentials


Like any other occupation, you need to have credentials to convince an editor, publisher, or reader that you can deliver that article, that story, or keep their interest. To get writing credentials, you must write. No matter what occupation you have now, including student, start writing. Write a journal, write product reviews for everything you buy, write for your neighborhood association’s newsletter, volunteer to write press releases for your local animal shelter, whatever—just get writing credentials. Contact the editors of online and print media and ask if they need freelancers. Start a blog. Offer to help your friends write resumes. All these will become part of your writing credentials. You may want to collect them (called "clips") into a portfolio (print or electronic). Publish links on your Facebook page or web site or whatever tool you use. And that tool should be professional looking, have NO typos or inappropriate language, and NO party pictures. It will serve as your online Writer Persona for employers, editors, and everyone else.

No comments: