NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, September 2, 2010

Job Series: being a writer. Part 1 Technical Writing


In 1990, I was asked to serve on the board of the Council for Wisconsin Writers (http://www.wisconsinwriters.org/ ). The other board members were university faculty, editors, and a literary agent. I was completely intimidated by all these high-powered people, and wondered how I ended up being asked to serve with them. At my first board meeting, when I explained that I was a technical writer for the State of Wisconsin, everyone gasped. That made me feel even more intimidated—but just for a moment. Almost immediately, everyone started talking at once, saying things like, “you are so lucky. . . we need someone on the board who actually earns a living writing . . . how did you get this job?”

I have earned a good living as a writer for 35 years. I've written for the private sector as an employee and as a freelance consultant, and also for state government as an employee. And I still am asked how did I get so lucky as to be able to earn a living as a writer, and what is my advice for becoming a technical writer.

When I was in college in the 1970s, there was no field or education program called “technical writing.” Technical writing as a field evolved from the computer industry, where understandable manuals and instructions were needed so people could use their PCs and Macs. My degree is in English, with a minor in Journalism, which served me well then, and would still serve anyone today. A degree in technical writing is also available now on undergraduate and graduate levels in many universities and colleges. If you have writing credentials and want to branch out into technical writing, taking workshops or college classes on the subject will help as well.

No comments: