NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Recently read: James W. Hall’s Blackwater Sound


The more I read of this author, the more I admire him. This book, like so many of his others, contains both poetic descriptions of the sea and the Florida Keys, in-depth characters, and some brutal action. In this, Thorn and his girlfriend of the moment are having fishing in Blackwater Sound when a passenger plane on its way to Rio plummets into the water with no sound until the splash. As Thorn tries to rescue as many of the survivors as he can, he notices a boat with three people watching. His intuition tells him something is wrong and he starts sniffing around over the next few days and discovers two of the three people are the only two siblings remaining of the powerful Braswell family, who deny being near the wreck. The horrific death of their older brother ten years before still casts a strong shadow over the present. Hard to put this book down.

No comments: