NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Sunday, September 16, 2007

Harvest of books

A few of my many overcrowded book shelves.


Book fairs, festivals, fests, and any other synonyms you can think of, are wonderful places for writers to make contacts, talk to other writers, rub elbows with agents, and network with publishers. Often free and always inspiring, if you can get to one in your area, go! Think of book fairs as planting seeds that may grow into a published book. As writers, it is too easy to stay isolated at our keyboards, regarding rejection emails almost as rites of passage, and losing touch with the living, vital world that words inhabit. I think it is important for us to periodically pop up and socialize. And hey, if that means being with other writers, and agents and publishers, how much better can that get?

October in Wisconsin has a number of book festivals scheduled. The Wisconsin Humanities Council’s Wisconsin Book Festival starts in Milwaukee on October 2 with events through October 12. In Madison, Book Festival events run October 10 through October 14. For schedules and detailed information, see the web site at http://www.wisconsinbookfestival.org/about/index.php?category_id=3423&subcategory_id=4429

In my area, the Chippewa Valley Book Fest starts on October 21 and goes through October 21. See http://www.cvbookfest.org/

1 comment:

Liane Manso Betton said...

Hi! It's Liane from SFWC. Thought I'd check out your blog just to find a wonderful post on something that has been on my mind. I've been looking into book fairs in my area.

Hope everything is going well for you.