NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, May 12, 2009

The World Digital Library



This far-reaching project began in 2005 with a speech to the U.S. National Commission for UNESCO by James H. Billington, a librarian at the U.S. Library of Congress. This electronic resource will bring together human knowledge in seven languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Portuguese, Spanish and Russian. The web site, http://www.wdl.org/en/ , is free and available to everyone. Designed to promote multicultural understanding and ultimately to provide virtually unlimited resources that include manuscripts, maps, musical scores, recordings, images, and other materials, you can already start to browse the collection.

No comments: