NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Recently read: Ian Rankin’s The Naming of the Dead



I have always liked this Scottish writer ever since I began tracking down his books in the Madison library back in the 1980s. The protagonist is again Inspector John Rebus, and as I expect from this excellent writer, the plot is intricate, the descriptions of the underworld and the upperworld are vivid, and the characters ring true. Rebus must find the killer of a paroled rapist, a victim even the police think got his just deserts. At the same time, Rebus is bothered by the secrecy and intrigue surrounding the suicide of a Scottish delegate to the G8 conference which is going on that year in Edinburgh Castle. An excellent blend of introspection, action, politics and crime.

No comments: