NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, April 15, 2010

The 79th Annual Writer’s Digest competition


There are ten categories in which to submit your work to the Writer's Digest contest:
1. Inspirational Writing (Spiritual/Religious)
2. Memoirs/Personal Essay
3. Magazine Feature Article
4. Genre Short Story (Mystery, Romance, etc.)
5. Mainstream/Literary Short Story
6. Rhyming Poetry
7. Non-Rhyming Poetry
8. Stage Play
9. Television/Movie Script
10. Children's/Young Adult Fiction

Prizes are awarded in each category. And if you win the grand prize, you’ll receive 3,000 cash and a trip to New York City to meet with editors or agents. If you even get an honorable mention, it is still an honor.

The deadline is May 14, so be sure to check the contest guidelines and rules at http://writersdigest.com/annual#rules

This has always seemed to me to be the zenith of writing contests. What originally began as a single magazine is now a publishing empire, a college, and a force to be reckoned with in the world of writers. I’ve entered the contest on a number of occasions over the past 20 years. I am proud when I have a piece that I feel that is good enough to submit. This year, I haven’t written anything since last summer, so I have nothing to polish up and send off. There is always next year, though!

No comments: