NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, April 1, 2010

Moving tips: Use a real estate professional



I’ll be posting some tips on moving as the mood strikes. One of my pet peeves is people who think they save money by not using professionals, whether that means contacting a lawyer, using an accountant, or avoiding a real estate broker so they don’t have to pay the commission. Even though Carl is a licensed real estate broker (he has never practiced, but it is useful because he works in the housing/energy field), we have always used a realtor® every time we bought a house. This time we had two: one for Wisconsin and one for Colorado. They both were delightful to work with, have become personal friends, and more than earned their commissions!

In Wisconsin, our realtor was Lonnie Larson (http://www.ellsworth-realestate.com ). He sold our house within eight weeks of listing during an economic slump. Because he is a full-time realtor with a network that extends over two states, he was able to connect with a family from St. Paul, Minnesota, who had always wanted their own “park.”

In Colorado, our realtor was Sheila Weaver (http://www.homesincolorado.com/getagent/show.php?aid=011700308&oid=011700009&chome=1&odoor= ). She spent some long days with me (and we had such fun!) showing as many as 13 houses in a day, and then rapidly handling all the paperwork involved when we bid on one house that failed its home inspection and within a week we had an accepted offer on our current house.

No comments: