NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Recently read: Arturo Perez-Reverte’s The Club Dumas


I love this Spanish writer whose novels all have a darker side as well as plenty of intellectual fodder. In this, Lucas Corso, who calls himself a book detective, is asked to verify a manuscript found at the scene of a bibliophile’s suicide. Alexandre Dumas’ works, especially The Three Musketeers, as well as his private life (which was rollicking as well), provide the intellectual touch and the darker side is an ancient book about the devil that was supposedly burned along with its publisher during the Spanish Inquisition. Suspicious characters, greed, death, and large sums of money all swirl around in a macabre dance.

No comments: