NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Friday, May 28, 2010

Recently read: John Dunning’s The Bookman’s Wake


I love this author who is now a local author since I moved to the Denver area. It's always fun to know the places and the streets mentioned. This is part of Dunning’s Cliff Janeway series about a former Denver cop turned book dealer. In this book, Janeway agrees to go to Seattle to bring back a young woman wanted for burglary who skipped out before the trial, leaving the bail bondsman looking at a hefty payment. The quick and easy money promised Janeway for a quick and easy task is not as quick and easy as originally promised. The book the woman is alleged to have stolen is a 1969 edition of Edger Allen Poe’s "The Raven"—a book that lives in the myth surrounding a small prestigious publisher, a book that appears in no bibliography. If it exists, it would be worth a fortune. In addition to the suspenseful plot, excellent characterization, and down right excellent writing, we find ourselves in the fascinating (well, to me anyway) world of small press publishing where the printer is regarded as an artist and the buyers are a special breed.

No comments: