NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Sunday, June 6, 2010

Recently read: Jane Haddam’s Living Witness


Haddam has evolved into such an excellent writer and social commentator over the years since I first started reading her books based on holidays, and Gregor Demarkian continues to be one of the more complicated and likable protagonists around. In this book, Haddam tackles the timely subject of science and those Christians who believe the Bible is the word-for-word truth (never mind that it wasn’t written in English). A small town’s school board is trying to get Creationism taught. The battle turns ugly when a 91-year-old woman who is pro-evolution is beaten to death. As ever, Haddam shows the violence under the surface of ordinary people, and the danger of ignorance and blind faith.

No comments: