NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Friday, June 25, 2010

Recently read: William Lashner’s Hostile Witness


I am getting so fond of Lashner’s hapless lawyer, Victor Carl. In this book, Carl, the dogged defender of the lower levels of Philadelphia’s organized crime workers, finds himself the darling (well, sort of) of a prestigious power firm. The firm’s partners seem determined to fling money at Carl, a hot young woman seems determined to make Carl her own personal companion, and in return, Carl is expected to represent the aide of a city councilman. Both the aide and his boss are on trial for the offenses of extortion and murder. Only Carl is supposed to keep his mouth shut, not look into any of the documents, and let his client take the heat for the councilman. This isn’t Carl’s way, even with the inducements of massive amounts of cash and Veronica’s charms.

No comments: