NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Recently read: Barry Maitland’s The Verge Practice



My very favorite type of bedtime reading for many years has been British suspense books. I discovered Maitland within the last year, and find him a satisfying addition to others of this genre. A police procedural, Scotland Yard’s team of Detective Chief Inspector David Brock and Detective Sergeant Kathy Kolla are well-developed heroes, with human quirks, yet not as angst-ridden as so many nowadays. In this book, they unravel the questions concerning the disappearance of a prominent architect, Charles Verge. Two of the questions are did Verge murder his nasty young wife before he disappeared, or is he dead, too? Another fun read. This particular book is seventh in the series of “Kathy and Brock” mysteries. My only complaint is that I hate it when a male character is called by his last name and a female character is familiarly called by her first. Give them equal status and call them BOTH by either their first names or their last names. A pet peeve of mine!

No comments: