NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, October 4, 2007

Research, books and intellectual freedom



One of the things I love about the Internet is zeroing in on something unexpected, kind of a sedentary version of the thrill of the chase. By browsing one site, you can click on interesting links, and turn up all sorts of fascinating things. When I was searching for the Web site of the Children’s Book Co-operative, I noticed a link to the American Library Association (ALA). By following that link, I got to the blog created by the ALA’s Office of Intellectual Freedom (http://blogs.ala.org/oif.php )

The ALA defines intellectual freedom as “the right of every individual to both seek and receive information from all points of view without restriction. It provides for free access to all expressions of ideas through which any and all sides of a question, cause or movement may be explored” The ALA further states that intellectual freedom is important for the following reasons: “Intellectual freedom is the basis for our democratic system. We expect our people to be self-governors. But to do so responsibly, our citizenry must be well-informed. Libraries provide the ideas and information, in a variety of formats, to allow people to inform themselves. Intellectual freedom encompasses the freedom to hold, receive and disseminate ideas.” ( from http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/basics/intellectual.htm )

As writers and readers, these precepts should be near and dear to our hearts.

1 comment:

CarolB said...

Boy, this is some really interesting stuff you're writing on here! I think our intellectual freedom, though, will also be shaped by our values how and what we value in our lives, whether we follow a particular faith, or as others would call religion. This will have an impact on intellectual freedom. I hesitate to read some books because of my values. Right now, I'm trying to finish the book Will to Murder before I tackle any other suggested material and this book is over 430 pages; I'm over halfway through the book, so I can report on the read sometime later.

Your blog is very interesting to read, especially for us who aspire to be writers and hope to do more as time goes by.