NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Sunday, December 9, 2007

National Endowment for the Arts: Translation Fellowships due 1/8/08



Because I read a lot of books written in other languages that are translated into English, I have so much respect for translators. Those people with headphones at the U.N., for example, who almost instantly convert someone’s spoken words, amaze me. For the written word, good translators not only have to be fluent in two languages (including each one’s colloquialisms), but also have to be a good writers themselves. The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) is encouraging people to go into translating the written word through its Translation Fellowships in poetry, prose and drama. The deadline is January 8, 2008. Grants are for $10,000 or $20,000. If you are able to write in two (or more) languages, visit one of these sites for applications at http://www.grants.gov/ , or NEA’s site at http://www.arts.gov/

No comments: