NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Recently read: Cara Black’s Murder in the Marais



This is the first time I’ve read anything by this American ex-pat in Paris. Unlike many of the other Parisian and other European novels I’ve been reading lately, Black’s book takes place in 1993 and sticks strictly to the contemporary timeline. Set in the ancient Jewish quarter of Paris, even though events are connected to history, especially World War II, we follow the detective, Aimee Leduc, and the other people as they go through today’s world. Leduc specializes in computer forensics and decoding. What seems a simple and lucrative assignment of printing an encrypted photo and delivering it to an elderly woman instead turns into a complex web of long-past motives, hates, old murders, and secrets that are still not dead even though the characters are. This is a fun read for some good atmosphere, good plot, and good writing.

No comments: