NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Recently read: Elizabeth Ironside’s Death in the Garden



This is an excellent story that examines the complexity of human emotions. Well written and engaging, this is a book that can keep you up late (at least it kept me up late). Elizabeth Ironside is the pen name of Lady Catherine Manning, whose husband was the British Ambassador to the U.S. from 2003 till this year. That adds an extra dash to this story of the British upper classes during and after World War I. The book begins at a birthday celebration at a country manor that ends in a death. Although the victim’s wife, Diana Pollexfen, is acquitted, the 1925 crime was never solved and suspicion continues to swirl around her. Upon Diana’s death 60 years later, Diana’s grand-niece, Helena, reads her aunt’s old journals. Determined to clear her great-aunt’s name, Helena finds out who among the people who attended that fatal party are still alive, and who has left letters and clues. I love these books that float through time, and this is a good one.

No comments: