NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Monday, December 3, 2007

Recently read: Robert Wilson’s The Company of Strangers



Wilson takes us to Lisbon for this book, and we once again bounce back in time to the years before and during World War II. Wilson’s deft writing, and his ability to make us enter the lives of his characters and experience history are phenomenal. In this novel, we follow a young English woman turned spy and a German spy turned double agent as they tread the trickery in Portugal and Europe. Their love affair has an impact beyond themselves, while political treachery continues from the Nazis and Salazar’s regime into the Cold War and to the year the Berlin Wall came down. Wilson's grasp of the nuances of history, his ability to breath life into the men and women who people his novels, and his masterly handling of plot are worth every minute of page-turning suspense.

No comments: