NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, August 21, 2008

Recently read: Laura Lippman’s What the Dead Know



I first started reading Lippman when I was spending a lot of time consulting in Columbia, Maryland. Everyone was so excited about having a local author writing about Baltimore and the rest of the state (one of her books is even set in Columbia). Although I like her series with Tess Mongahan, I find her other thrillers far more gripping. This one is about two sisters who disappeared in 1975 and the policeman and family who never forgot them. One of the sisters turns up 30 years later after a hit and run accident. Lippman does a fine job creating strong and intriguing characters, from the vanished sisters themselves to the social worker and young cop who are pulled into the contemporary case. And as ever, the social and physical environments of Baltimore are integral parts of the novel.

No comments: