NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Sunday, August 24, 2008

The update from the Bat Cave



Last week we had all sorts of visitors, including welcome ones such as my cousin Jean, her husband Steve, my aunt Barb, and unwelcome ones such as a constant stream of Big Brown House Bats (as opposed to the other variety, Little Brown House Bats). Part of Sunday’s post-dinner entertainment was participating in a Bat Removal. Once our welcome guests left on Monday morning and Carl headed to Madison, my father and I had many chances to perfect our humane Bat Removal techniques. These included using a dust mop to safely trap one on the floor, and a large pitcher to trap one hanging on a lower wall. Father worked the doors and I worked the removal tool, and each bat flew off into the daylight, confused but alive. By Tuesday morning, I’d contacted our pest control firm and signed up for a Bat Eviction. Special one-way doors are installed where the bats are entering. The bats can fly out, but can't get back in. We have now been bat-free for three days and it was well worth the cost!

No comments: