NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Teaching ESL (English as a Second Language)



Years ago I was a literacy volunteer in Madison, and I asked to be assigned to the ESL section. As a result, I tutored a woman from Shanghai who was a neuroscientist in her 50s (at the time, I was only in my 30s). We became good friends, and are still in touch although she’s lived in California now for more than 10 years. Many of my friends are teachers, and a number of them teach ESL. Recently, I connected with Eric Roth, an ESL teacher and writer in Los Angeles. Roth has a Web site that’s an excellent source for ESL teachers as well as ESL learners http://www.compellingconversations.com/ Even if you aren’t interested in ESL but love words and reading about people doing things that benefit their community and beyond, visit his blog at http://wwwcompellingconversations.blogspot.com/ and his Web site for information on his publication, Compelling Conversations.

No comments: