NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Agents to represent you and your novel or memoir






Although I’ve not (yet) gotten an agent for my novel, The Pine Tap Bar and Bait Shoppe, I’ve had some requests to see more after my initial query, which is a big step. For memoirs, while technically nonfiction (well, that’s debatable given recent news stories about memoirs revealed as fiction), the guidelines for publication are generally the same, unless you are already famous. The best path to have a memoir published is via an agent rather than direct contact with an editor. Here are a few suggestions for those of you who have not yet started your agent-quest, or feel you need some new ideas:

  • Writers Digest, online, in books, courses, and in their monthly publication, is the single best source for ALL a writers needs. See their web site at http://www.writersdigest.com/GetPublishedCategory/
  • Agent quest, an online agent search site, makes it easy to narrow your search. I like that I can quickly see what authors and books an agent represents. If I like who is represented, I assume the agent may also like my work. See http://agentquery.com/
  • Keep tabs on agent blogs. Here’s one I just learned about: http://rejecter.blogspot.com/ Note: you should get the blog of a NYC agent who rejects 95% of the submissions she receives—reminds me of the site of Miss Snark who “retired” last year. Beware, however, because I tried three times to get the blog—there is some sort of “adult” web site that can snag you.
  • Plan on attending book events in your area (or farther afield, if you can afford the cost and the time). I post upcoming fairs, conferences, workshops, and other events that offer writers not only advice, but also connect them with agents and publishers. Like most industries and professions today, nothing beats networking. Book events can be the best source for writers to network. Scroll down past the jigsaw puzzle for current ones.

1 comment:

Eric said...

Thank you for these valuable, practical links for aspiring writers!