NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Copyright—when something is not in the public domain



If something is NOT in the public domain that means the work is subject to copyright according to either the law or the creator’s specified instructions. Sometimes the words or images are in the public domain, but the publisher now has the rights for that format. Be sure to find out what the publisher or copyright owner states regarding usage (the publisher may be the web site or blogger). Then follow those rules.

I look for a statement that indicates the words or images may be used, as long as the source/creator is identified. For my blog, I credit the creator and provide a link to the source. For example, the images I use from Dover Publishing are always credited and linked—this promotes them. Same with the WPA images I used a lot this winter. Some sites state that you are welcome to post their material on your own blog or web site as long as you include the material IN FULL and UNCHANGED and provide the citation. If that’s the case and you want to use the material, that is what you must do.

In my book reviews, or other postings, I sometimes quote from the source and identify it. If it’s a web site or blog, I provide a link. If it’s a book, I include a copy of the cover, but no link. These instances qualify as Fair Use since they are brief, cited, and are “criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research” according to Fair Use law.

When I am writing or researching as a student or teacher, I use the institution’s rules. When I quote someone here, I give the citation, usually the author’s name and book title. I don’t adhere to the full source listing that I would in a print publication or academic piece.


Most people are delighted to get free advertising and promotion of their book, company or site. When it is clear that their work is copyrighted and I really really really want to use it, I email or call for permission. I’ve never been denied it.

This concludes the copyright series. If you have questions beyond what I’ve covered, please check with the staff at the Library of Congress at 202-707-3000 or visit its web site at http://www.copyright.gov/

No comments: