NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Recently read: Henning Mankell’s Before the Frost



I love Mankell’s Kurt Wallander series. In this, Wallander’s daughter, Linda, has just completed police training and is waiting for her new job with the Skane police force to begin. In the meantime, she’s back living with her father until her new apartment is ready, and she just can’t keep away from police business. Especially when her friends are involved. Linda has flitted in and out of earlier books and adds a nice dimension to this one, as we get to see Wallander through her eyes. As usual, this Swedish police procedural is well-written, griping, complex and carries the reader along through the mud and stones of the south coast of Sweden. We dip into Copenhagen as we follow a series of attacks on animals, and then murdered women start joining the ranks of dead birds and pets. To find the people responsible takes us into the past and around the world and back again.

No comments: