NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Recently read: Rhys Bowen’s In Dublin’s Fair City



A new author to me, Bowen has a long list of books. This one is part of her Molly Murphy mysteries set at the turn of the century. The book starts in New York City, but the majority of the action takes place in Dublin. I’m not sure how much leeway to be a private investigator not to mention a sassy one would have been possible a century ago, but that doesn’t detract from the novel. Murphy is tracking a millionaire’s long lost baby sister and her troubles start before the ship even docks when she agrees to switch places with an actress. Sassiness apparently accompanies naivety in women detectives even back then! Still, this is a pleasant, light read and I intend to track down more of Bowen’s books.

No comments: