NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A new quarter at Globe University means a new class blog

We’re in Week 2 at Globe University’s Eau Claire campus (and at all the other Globe campuses as well). Since I first used a class blog as a teaching tool for written and oral communications in 2007, I have learned that for many people, including the younger students and older ones, blogging is something new and intimidating. As a result, I get them started the very first week with the assignment of introducing themselves in a professional manner. This also helps them get signed on and familiar with the technical issues of posting comments on a blog, without the stress of being graded. For the first week, they earn 5 points for posting comments.

From here through Week 9 of the 12-week quarter, they will respond to a variety of assignments. Originally I created a blog for each specific class, but this summer and this fall, I have created one blog for all my Business Writing and Business Communications students. Not only does this make it easier on me to come up with weekly assignments, but it gives the students a broader group to interact with on the Internet. You can check out Erica Hanson’s blog for business classes at http://ericahansonsblogforbusinessclasses.blogspot.com

No comments: