NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Recently read: Barbara Sher’s Refuse to Choose!



I’ve been on a lucky streak of reading life-changing books this year. My latest recommendation is Sher’s Refuse to Choose! Use ALL of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams. That long subtitle says it all. Sher has written numerous books and is well known as a life coach area as well as a motivational speaker. This book examines a type of person Sher has named “Scanners.” When I started reading, it was as if she knew me and Carl! Scanners are people who are curious about many things and can’t settle into a boring routine (all routines are boring to Scanners) year after year for a lifetime. Scanners are fascinated by a diverse range of interests, which can take many forms. Sher has identified a dozen types of Scanners.

I am a Wanderer Scanner. That explains why so far this month, I’ve studied books on Sweden, resumed my interest in photography, pondered once again getting certified as an ELS/ELL instructor (English Language Learner), dabbled in watercolor drawings, wrote two bad poems, taught classes in communications and business writing, studied DaVinci’s notebooks (the original DaVinci, not the movie/book imposter), began designing a line of mixed media dolls, signed up for getting certified as an art/life coach, and am finishing an article for a local magazine on area events for the holidays. If your life looks like a course catalog at Fascinated-by-Life Universiry, you may be a Scanner, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is definitely important to do some research before Changing career. There´s a company called Ascentador that talks about this on their website.
Cheers,
Jane

Erica Hanson said...

Thanks, Jane. The company sounds interesting and I'll check it out.