NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Recently read: John Harvey’s Still Water



This is the second novel by Harvey I have read and the ninth in his series of police procedurals featuring Charlie Resnick, set in northern England. He’s being reprinted by the Michigan publishers, Bloody Brits. Sexual violence is a theme that runs through the book, including Resnick’s personal life, when his girlfriend Hannah confides that one of the teachers she works with has been beaten by her husband. When the teacher disappears after producing an all-day workshop about violence against women, Resnick is asked to investigate. And when her dead body is found in the canal, is her death connected to a series of women found floating in the canals, or is she the sole victim of domestic violence? I like Harvey’s books so much that I just ordered the first three in this series and can’t wait to read more.

No comments: