NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Recently read: John Harvey’s Lonely Hearts



I’m addicted now to this series of English police procedurals and Detective Inspector Charlie Resnick's forays into the darker side of life. This is another gem. A woman is brutally murdered at home and her violent boyfriend is hauled off a train to Scotland, apparently fleeing the crime. An easy case to close for Resnick and his team—except another woman is killed, and the boyfriend ends up with alibis for both crimes. Some ace detective work by all members of the team reveals a common thread between the two women: they both had advertised in the local Lonely Hearts classified ads. The book has well-developed characters, and a page-turning plot.

No comments: