NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, December 10, 2009

Recently read: Leonardo Padura’s Havana Black


In this novel, Padura again provides the reader with a fascinating glimpse into the dark world of Havana in the late 20th century. Lieutenant Mario Conde has to refresh his knowledge of history at the time of the revolution, including looking at the hidden secrets of those who came to power with Castro. A returned exile, Miquel Forcade, whose services to Castro included confiscating priceless works of art abandoned by the fleeing upper classes, is found dead and mutilated on the beach. Conde must first figure out the questions to ask before he can uncover the answers. Well written, the book evokes the decaying luxuries and bitterness of a world that disappeared with the revolution, and a world that came into being with the revolution and is now sinking into the night.

No comments: