NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Publishing through nontraditional channels



With the advent not only of the Internet, but also the current “a computer in every home” reality, writers don’t necessarily need the traditional publishing firm any more. Whether you choose to use one or not, it’s an individual choice among many options that include self-publishing, print-on-demand, blogging, and Internet publishing services such as BookSurge at http://www.booksurge.com/ and iUniverse at http://www.iuniverse.com/

One of the authors I met last year at the San Francisco Writers Conference, Wendy Bartlett, has decided to have her novel, Broad Reach, published through iUniverse. Her novel is about a man and a woman who go sailing around the world. In an email to me last fall, Bartlett had these comments about her experience up to that point with iUniverse. She used the prize money she won toward the cost of a self-publishing contract. She said, “I can’t tell you how much fun it is getting it all together. And a LOT of work. iUniverse thinks it has very good commercial potential. I was astonished and pleased with their feedback. Anyway, I am now in the throes of finishing their first polishing editorial feedback. I am certainly learning a ton!”

Bartlett’s book is now in print and for sale through Barnes & Noble, Amazon, and—I hope—local bookstores. One of the marketing activities she is doing is having a display table all her own at this year’s San Francisco Writers Conference. You can buy her book at http://www.amazon.com/Broad-Reach-Wendy-Bartlett/dp/059546176X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201531859&sr=1-1

I have met a number of other authors who have chosen to publish through the various other options now available. Keep me up on your experiences, whether during the process or once your words are officially out in the world.

No comments: