NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Friday, February 1, 2008

February is Black History Month

This is the first page of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The Act prohibits discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, and national origin. The image is from

An excellent source for information on the civil rights movement is the compilation of essays, historical site, and links contained in We Shall Overcome: Historic Places of the Civil Rights Movement at http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/travel/civilrights/text.htm
This site is the result of a partnership between the National Park Service, U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, and the National Conference of State Historic Preservation Officers. Once you’ve read through the essays and surfed the links, click on Itinerary Home, which will take you to the travel itinerary. Whether you are looking for ideas, facts, inspiration, or just want to refresh your remembrance of history, this site is worth visiting. Another way to honor Black History Month is to visit the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture at http://nmaahc.si.edu/

No comments: