NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Friday, February 29, 2008

Recently read: Lucinda Holdforth’s True Pleasures



If you like memoirs, travel books, history, or French literature, this book is a must-read. Holdforth, an Australian writer and former diplomat, treks through Paris in search of the great women of France, and through her research uncovers truths about men, women, and life. The concept for this book works beautifully. Holdforth wanders through contemporary Paris looking for tombs, homes, and history. She does an excellent job of analyzing the women, France, and human nature. The women presented in the book include such memorable people as George Sand, Madame de Pompadour, Coco Chanel, Colette, Ninon de Lanclos, and Germaine De Stael. She also looks at women of other nationalities who made their marks in France: Marie Antoinette, Empress Josephine, Nancy Mitford and Edith Wharton. Through her examination of de Stael and Napoleon’s rancor toward each other, Holdforth presents an insight about men and women in today’s workforce that is brilliant—one of those smack-your-palm-on-your-forehead moments. This is a brilliant book, right up there with Gilbert’s Eat, Pray, Love.

No comments: