NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Thursday, May 22, 2008

Copyright—when you probably don’t need to worry about infringing on someone else’s copyright




One of the first things to identify is when copyright laws might apply and when they might not. According to the Library of Congress at http://www.copyright.gov/ the following usually do not fall under copyright regulations (all quotes are from the Library’s site):

  • Works not “fixed in a tangible form of expression.” Examples: improvised dances, musical performance and speeches if these have not been written down or recorded.
  • Things that short, familiar or just listings. Examples: titles, slogans and tables of contents.
  • “Ideas, procedures, methods, systems, processes, concepts, principles, discoveries, or devices.”
  • Information that is common property, like calendars, charts, and facts from public documents. Most published government information is public information, such as census data.

No comments: