NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Recently read: Phil Doran’s The Reluctant Tuscan



Reading this book is a pleasant way to wile away some hours at your lakeside cabin or on your deck under the shade of a sun umbrella. Doran is a former sit-com writer whose credits include All in the Family, Sanford and Sons, and The Bob Newhart Show. In his memoir, he tells of his depression and stress as the writing jobs dry up. This results in his wife insisting that they move to a rural area in Tuscany where she expects him to learn to enjoy life and avoid a heart attack. The book tells how they learn to deal with the Italian bureaucracy, small-town life, contractors, neighbors, and remodelers as they struggle to make their “piccolo rustica” habitable (my translation—MAJOR fixer-upper). In the process they almost divorce, but end up realizing how much they mean to each other--thus saving their adopted baby goat from being the victim of a broken home. It’s worth reading, but I did not laugh as hard as I expected to.

No comments: