NOTICE!

For some reason I can add sidebars, but not new posts. Please check back later. I have been working on a variety of things including switching my blog soon from this one, which was set up with my now-defunct West Wisconsin Telcom account. I hope to have my new blog through Gmail up soon. I will provide a link and announcement when I've got everything straight. 7/2/11




Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Recently read: Alexander McCall Smith’s The Good Husband of Zebra Drive



As usual, Smith has produced a marvelous book. I love the gentle rhythm of the book, as Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi ponder the problem of tea bags while just as gently Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni accepts his limitations and his strengths. We get to accompany them all as they feel the winter sun in Botswana, which starts to warm the tops of the trees on Zebra Drive. In this book, the eighth in the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency series, many changes loom forebodingly in this peaceful part of town. Mma Makutsi resigns, Charlie the older apprentice resigns, Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni wants to try detecting, and Mma Ramotswe has too many cases to handle them all herself. By the end of the book, three mysterious deaths at the hospital are explained, a thief is revealed, a car is wrecked, and all the employees of the No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency and Tlokweng Road Speedy Motors have returned to their rightful roles.

No comments: